Deciding to forgive yourself or someone else can be a huge and slow process/decision for some people.
Of course the sooner the better…the faster you are free to live and love at your highest and best.
But it is a challenge for so many.
So in the meanwhile here are some things you can do to keep yourself, at least, on a path to forgiveness.
12 Things To Do… Until Forgiveness Flows From You:
- Make a list of all the things you have forgiven yourself or someone else for over the years
- Make a list of the things you have not forgiven – self and others
- Reflect on any patterns you see with both lists ( for example: certain things get forgiven easily (or not) or, forgiving others but not yourself…)
- Make a list of all the things you have been forgiven for by others
- Make a list of all the things you have not been forgiven for by others
- Reflect on any patterns you see with both lists
- Once a day, sit in quiet meditation/reflection/stillness, with as few thoughts as possible
- Decide on and speak a powerful affirmation about yourself, at least 10x per day
- Make a list of all the things you are deeply grateful for – add to that list daily
- Every day, do something kind for another person (Loved ones, strangers, children – yours or not, elders, service providers, staff, challenging people – anyone, anytime, for no reason other than it’s a very good thing to be kind AND, it doesn’t matter how small an act of kindness it is. )
- Read and reflect on scripture or spiritual teachings on love and forgiveness
- Ask for guidance, seek wisdom, surrender to a higher power
I suggest you create these lists in a dedicated book or journal, leaving space for your reflections and insights.
Moving along this path to forgiveness is what is most important. Standing still in pain, stubbornness or “indifference” is actually moving you backwards, keeping you in the past.
So takes these “small” steps and who knows, before long you might see one or two names or things fall off the second list.
Then be sure to celebrate…:-)
Wishing you an abundance of peace, joy and light,